GetGimp.com is advertiser supported. We offer GIMP through our Download Manager; all additional offers are optional. GIMP may be available for free elsewhere. Learn More
Get To Know GIMP And All Its Features
One of the best parts of GIMP, aside from its price tag, is the level of features and customization possibilities. Thanks to the community of open-source developers who spend their free time trying to make the program better, there are limitless possibilities of what you can do with this handy program. In the following page, we have provided a brief overview of some of the great things you can do with GIMP. Click on any of the section headers for a more in-depth description of what you can do when you use GIMP for your photo editing needs.
- Your virtual toolbox includes Paintbrush, Pencil, Airbrush, and more.
- Advanced anti-aliasing helps smooth and blend images better than ever before.
- The powerful blend tool and gradient editor add beautiful color.
- GIMP is highly compatible with third party brushes and pattern downloads.
- Load and save animations in convenient frame-as-layer format
- GIMP animation supports the MNG graphics file format.
- Frame Navigator in GAP provides frame-by-frame control.
- GAP, the Gimp Animation Package supports onion skinning.
- Bluebox in GAP simulates green-screen color removal.
- Full alpha channel support
- Create artistic borders and effects with QuickMask
- Multiple step Undoing and Redoing
- Easily create and edit multiple text layers
- Standard transformation tools including scale, rotate, and flip
- Advanced selection tools like rectangle, ellipse/circle, and free select
- Foreground extraction tool provides precise image selection
- Advanced path tool allows for bezier and polygonal selections
- There are multiple methods of touching up and editing digital images
- Digitally remove blemishes, cover wrinkles, and smooth skin
- GIMP’s professional-quality editing tools yield professional-level results
- Pick and choose the editing tools and features you want to include
- Get started with pre-selected themes and appearances
- Customize your interface and hot keys to increase efficiency and comfort
- Supports most image files, including: bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps,psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
- Load, display, edit, convert, or “save to” numerous formats
- SVG path import/export keeps vectors intact
- Customize gestures and buttons on a variety of third-party hardware devices
- Hotkey support allows you to increase productivity with your own device.
- Supports pen-and-tablet style controllers for the most design control.
Extensible Image Transforms
- A Procedural Database for calling internal GIMP functions from external programs as in Script-fu
- Advanced scripting capabilities such as Scheme, Python, and Perl
- Plug-ins allow for the easy addition of new file formats and new effect filters
- Over 100 plug-ins are already available to expand GIMP
- Memory management is tile-based, so image size is only limited byavailable disk space
- Keep an unlimited number of images open at any time
- Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7)
- Mac OS X
- Sun OpenSolaris
- GNU/Linux (i386, PPC)